So, I have been thinking about this post for quite a while now... working on it....and never finding the time to finally complete it...but here it is....finally!
I have been wanting to share with you all some great place to antique / flea market in Louisiana...you know places that are well worth the trip...that will cause your wallet to be a little lighter and your truck packed down!!
(this picture was taken a few weeks back...when I took some friends to Denham Springs...and they said they were not going to be buying anything...really? )
So grab a cup of coffee (or your drink of choice)...and start planning your little road trip...Make sure to click on all the little links...for even more information!
So here are my picks....
1. Denham Springs, LA - Hands down this is the best place to shop in Louisiana....great prices, great selection, tons of stores all located on the same strip, everything from 1800 - 1900 antiques to classic vintage goodies! You can't go wrong by taking a day trip here! Most stores open around 10:00 am and are open Tuesday - Sunday...get your calendar out and plan a weekend! If you need a friend to go with you (I want to come!!!!) Click Here to read for more information on Denham Springs Antique Village! P.S. My favorite stores...that I visit as often as I can are...Rusty Rooster, Serendipity in the Village, & Korner Shoppe.
Here is a picture of the Korner Shoppe in Denham Springs...be prepared to be here for hours if you want to see everything in this place!!
2. Breaux Bridge, LA - To be honest I really can't choose between Denham Springs & Breaux Bridge...because I love them both so much, but what I especially love about Breaux Bridge is not the just the antiques (that is just the added bonus!)...it is the entire city! Breaux Bridge is a Louisiana city at it's finest...it defines what southern life is all about! Breaux Bridge is the kind of town...where you can travel back in time...when life was just simpler! I love it...and as often as I can I make visits! My mother in law was born and raised in Breaux Bridge, so when we go to visit family I am usually able to squeeze some shopping in! Breaux Bridge always has something going on...coming up...April 21st, 2012 is Blooming on the Bayou, May 4,5,6th is Breaux Bridge's Crawfish Festival, and the first weekend of October is the City Wide Garage Sale! While you are out shopping you need to stop by the famous Cafe de Amis...which is an internationally recognized zydeco restaurant and coffee shop. Every Saturday morning they have live Zydeco music starting at 7am with breakfast and dancing!
Here is a picture of Cafe De Amis
Here is a picture of the City Wide Garage Sale that they have once a year...first weekend of October!
3. Ponchatoula, LA - Where the city slogan is "America's Antique City"
I have taken many trips to Ponchatoula and it is well worth the drive! I love this quaint town and I just feel like I am stepping back into a simpler time every time I visit there! A few times...I have left early in the morning from Thibodaux and headed to Ponchatoula and then drove to Denham Springs...that is a great day trip...if you have the time!!
My favorite place in Ponchatoula is CJ's Antiques - I have found some great pieces of furniture in this place...take note...you need lots of time in this place!! It is open 7 days a week...and if you get the chance you will probably meet Mr. CJ himself...it is a treat!
(Both of the buildings in this pictures are filled to the top...literally with antiques!!)
There are alot of other stores in downtown Ponchatoula...which are all in walking distant from CJ's antiques.
Ponchatoula always has events going on...check out there chamber of commerce website for more details on up coming events. Just to name a few events coming up...this weekend they are having a city wide inventory clearance at all antique stores on Saturday, Jan 28th, on March 2-4 they are having the Ponchatoula Antique Trade Days, in April they always have the Strawberry Festival, and in June they have a Citywide Yard Sale. Click on the links for more information!
4. Patterson, LA - Ok this place is a little secret...and if you haven't been...get in your car and take a ride because it is worth it!!
Bayou Chic Antiques
612 Hwy 90 West
open Tues - Sat
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
vintage plates I found the other day
Vintage stamps...that I found the other day too!
They have lots of furniture...along with great prices!!
5. St. Francisville, LA - This place is not only known for it's antiques but for the beautiful plantation homes. So, why not...do both...little shopping and touring while your at it! Right?
For more info on this quaint little town click here...
St. Francisville has the original Grandmother's Buttons store. If you haven't heard about Grandmother's buttons make sure to click on the link for more details...but basically it is hand made jewelry made from vintage and antique buttons. In 1985 the owner of the company got her start from rummaging through her grandmother's buttons...she thought the buttons would make beautiful earrings...and from there the company was born...and now they sell jewelry in boutiques around the world! The store in St. Francisville is really something to see...especially the Button Museum.
Hope this post helps to guide and inspire you as you plan your next antique / flea market trip in Louisiana!
Hope you find some goodies...
If any of my followers / readers have any other great places that they know of in Louisiana please, please share!!